Bright red strawberries are a treat on their own. But the Japanese way of enjoying freshly picked strawberries is to dip them in the condensed milk handed out at reception. The flavorful berries and the sweet condensed milk blend in the mouth and taste like a specially prepared dessert. And the fresh strawberries are twice as delicious! One other thing unique to Japan is the cultivation technique. The strawberries are grown high above the ground. This way, the fruit is clean and there’s no need to stoop down, so picking it is fun for everyone from children to elders.
- Umaii ReportsRead true-to-life stories about unique umaii (delicious) experiences
- How-to GuideLearn the etiquette of Yamanashi umaii (delicious) feasting
- Culinary experiences on videoYamanashi fruit picking and winery experiences
Strawberry picking facilities
- 240 Ichinomiyacho-Tsuchizuka, Fuefuki-shi, Yamanashi
Miharashien offers fruit for picking throughout the year—strawberries from January to May, peaches from June to August, grapes from early August to late November, and apples from late October to late November. In spring, it commands a view of peach blossoms in full bloom.
- Kodachi District, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Minamitsuru-gun
At Lake Kawaguchi, you can go strawberry picking! It is only at Lake Kawaguchi that you can enjoy strawberry picking in the middle of summer. Summer strawberries, characterized with refreshing sour-sweetness, can be enjoyed from mid-July to late August.